Different male body types are in need of different styles of clothing. In this post I’ll break down various male body types and cover styles, shapes and sizes for the maximum image advantage, regardless of your size.
The male body comes in varied shapes and sizes and in the same way as women can dress in certain styles to create different illusions, men can too.
A lot of men tend to wear larger sized clothes as they feel it will make them appear slimmer. Wrong! Larger, looser fitting clothes actually makes them appear larger.
MALE BODY TYPES: INVERTED TRIANGLE
Broad shoulders and slim hips, it is thought of as the ideal male body shape that can be natural or emphasized with exercise. This is one of the male body types that looks good whether slim or muscular build.
Jackets and coats for inverted triangle male body types
– Single or double breasted, ensure adequate fabric across shoulders to allow good posture and movement
– Medium or wide lapels/revers, depending on general build
– Flying or padded, waist length casual jackets
– Double breasted or belted overcoats and raincoats
– Flapped side pockets.
– Double or single back vent in suits and sports jackets
– Should always be worn tucked in at waist
– Draped or wide set-in sleeves
– V necklines
– American style t-shirts.
– Slim, straight or tapered legs
– Tight denims
– Pleated waist for suits and formal styles
– All trousers/jeans should be belted.
Avoid for inverted triangle male body types
– Baggy knitwear
– Baggy or wide legged trousers
– Bulky shoulder padding.
MALE BODY TYPES: RECTANGLE OR COLUMN
Shoulder and hips appear to be similar width with undefined waist. This shape can be tall and slim, or short/medium and thickset.
Tall and slim
Jackets and coats
– Doubled breasted
– Tailored classic styles
– Square shoulder pads
– Double breasted
– Longer length coats
– Belted raincoats
– Horizontal Stripes
– Full cut shirts
– Bulky casual layers
– Single pleated
– Turn ups (cuffs)
– Chino/cargo pants
– Regular or straight leg denims
– Tight fitting clothes
– Bold vertical stripes
– Same colored top and bottom (If wearing suit, select bold colored/patterned tie.)
Jackets and coats for thickset column male body types
– Single breasted
– Modern tailored style
– Light shoulder pads
– Single breasted, medium length coat
– ½ belted raincoats
– Breast pocket details
– Tailored, crisp shirts
– T-shirts worn under shirts for warmth.
– No turn ups
– Chinos, neat pockets
– Regular fit denims
– Tight or baggy styles
– Vertical stripes
– Bold colour contrast
– Very wide belts
MALE BODY TYPES – ROUNDED
Weight carried on arms, waist, tummy and buttocks. Legs can be thickset or slim. Height will need to be considered when advising rounded clients.
Jackets and coats for the rounded male body types
– Light shoulder pads
– Single back vent
– Soft shaping on revers and lapels
– Concealed pockets, no visible flaps
Shirts and tops for rounded male body types
– Natural and loose weave fabrics
– Raglan sleeves
– Rounded collars
– Tone colors with trousers
– Natural waistline
– Soft styling, relaxed fit
– Straight legs
– Dark colours, matte fabrics
Avoid for rounded male body types
– Very narrow or wide ties
– Tight clothing
– Bold pattern ties
– Casual tops tucked in at waist
– Low waistlines
Thank you for reading “Style and Shape for varying male body types”